Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little bad luck, but we sometimes see heat pump problems in Rockford during the cooler months, when they’re needed the most to keep you toasty. While you know the team at Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc will forever be there ASAP when you ask for us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to confirm that a repair is important and save yourself some cash if it’s not. We’ve collected this checklist of things to test before you give us a call.
- It may sound ridiculous, but make sure everything is switched “on”. We’ve been to more than a few calls only to discover the thermostat or the heat pump itself is switched off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t kicked on, return to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat set to heat? If yes, boost the temperature by five degrees to see if it switches on.
- If everything looks correct, test your heat pump switch (if it has one) and test the fuses and circuit breaker that shield the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is an obstruction causing your heat pump to fail?
- Try swapping the battery, if it has one.
- Check your air filters inside your air handler to make sure they’re not clogging things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and unbarred?
If you’ve gone through this checklist and you still need a heat pump fix, call Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc at (815)914-6197 and we’ll return your home back to the warm and cozy place you expect this time of year.