Whether you enjoy winter or prefer the warmer months in Rockford, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it must be replaced. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can fix temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc in Rockford a call to begin. Contact our team at (815)914-6197 or arrange an appointment with us online.