Generally, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Depending on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less regularly. So, how can you find out for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear clatter other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have less airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc in Rockford about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and lengthen the timeline between specialized cleanings.
First and foremost, arrange routine HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should include inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system running well, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will show dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand replacement.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With a specialized air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Rockford home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc a call at (815)914-6197.