While winter weather seems like it’s already been going on for far too long, its impact on our heating bill is just starting. Achieving low energy costs during the coldest months of the year can be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to possibly reduce those costs. That’s why we’ve jotted down a few furnace tips to help keep heating bills from skyrocketing.
To start controlling your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open throughout the warmest hours of the day to let sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Installing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also improve energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter every three months.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Installing insulation to your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to make sure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills low and energy efficiency high, is a year-round effort, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t do a few small things to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions regarding the tips above or questions about how you can decrease your heating bills, give us a call at (815)914-6197. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Rockford weather.