Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being produced. However, there is no need to worry. It is a natural by-product of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is carefully deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely moved through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a product of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Breathing in too much carbon monoxide stops the body from using oxygen and can harm the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can injure anyone exposed to the gas, it is more risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s practically impossible to know carbon monoxide is accumulating in your home. You may not be aware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Introduce carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it checked. The experts at Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc can make sure your blower motor is installed accurately and that everything looks correct in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can build up if there are problems in those spaces.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Routine maintenance is the best step you can take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly tune-up, your technicians will clean your system and inspect it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a decent idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A blockage of airflow caused by a dusty filter can cause carbon monoxide to bleed out from your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to regularly check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s specifications.
5. Always rely on professionals to repair your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be very dangerous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the professionals at Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc in Rockford around to help, too. Give us a call at (815)914-6197 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.