Summer and comfort are made for each other, but when you’re dealing with an air conditioner that isn’t leaving you with the comfort you want, you may need to consider air conditioner replacement. Take a minute and think about this scenario: it’s only a few weeks in to the summer and you’re enjoying a relaxing day at home. As lunchtime rolls around, you recognize that it’s feeling awfully warm inside. You check the thermostat and all looks to be well with the settings, but the temperature reads 85 degrees.
It’s likely that you rode it out as much as you could, but now it’s time to call in an expert and discover what’s wrong. So what does that mean for you as a homeowner? Well, there are a number of reasons that you might be facing air conditioner replacement. And considering the weather in Rockford, you don’t want to be left without what could be the single most significant piece of home comfort equipment you own.
Here are a few things you should be watching for if you think your air conditioner has stopped working:
- Insufficient air flow. If you sense a change in air flow, check for a blocked return-air or supply-air grille. Be sure all of these grilles are not obstructed by furniture or other items.
- Non-working outdoor fan. If you go outside to inspect your air conditioner’s outdoor fan and it doesn’t run, you’ll want to give the experts at Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc in Rockford a call. That fan is responsible for the transferring of heat from your home to the outdoors. If it doesn’t run, that heat transfer isn’t occurring and can cause various issues, including overheating of the compressor and other potential internal problems.
- Outside obstructions. If your air conditioner is currently surrounded by shrubbery or other potential obstructions, there could be a problem with good air flow to the unit. Over time this could also mean that dirt and debris end up clogging your system and hurting its cooling abilities. Ensure your system is free from obstructions and is cleaned regularly to potentially lessen your chances of needing air conditioner replacement.
- Dirty filters. One of the most common issues that Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc runs in to is improperly cared for filters. Dirty filters not only reduce airflow, they can also hurt your system’s efficiency and can drive up your bills. They also affect air quality and when allergy season is in full-swing, a dirty filter can have a great impact on your home comfort.
If you have checked all of these and your air conditioner still isn’t working, follow these step-by-step instructions, only going to the next step if the system doesn’t start.
- Check that the thermostat temperature set-point is set below indoor temperature, and the system switch is in the COOL position.
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch "on"?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply "on"?
- Check the house fuse box/breaker box for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.
- If the system still does not operate, call Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc at (815)914-6197.
Having a non-working air conditioner and dealing with air conditioner replacement doesn’t have to be a headache. Sure, your system may not be working , but that’s why the team at Temperature Doctors Heating & Cooling, Inc in Rockford is here to help. Give us a call at (815)914-6197.